Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Need new DVS Interface, suggestions please.
Pages (12): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Hides in Shadow
Suspended User

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
I've quite literally set up over 1000 technics and I can set up techs with a blindfold on (I've actually done it). It used to be my day job and I'm a Technics certified service engineer.

Setting up tonearm height, weight, skip, headshell angle needles really isn't difficult, that's not the issue but honestly, I've always found DVS fiddly. Sometimes you don't get a perfect signal donut, different needles give different outputs and then there's all the pluggin which takes it toll on connectors (and I really don't want to have to try to find and solder vintage vestax RCA sockets).

Since when and how long ago was this?

Old Post Aug-13-2019 20:39  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Hides in Shadow Click here to Send Hides in Shadow a Private Message Add Hides in Shadow to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Hides in Shadow
Suspended User

Liar..1000x. Blindfold my ass and service engineer

http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/...44&forumid=8&s=

quote:
After nearly a decade mixing, I finally have got my all time dream set-up....but (thanks to my new sony MDR 7509 HD 'phones) it seems to have brought a problem to light that maybe I couldn't quite hear before: Needle setup.

I've done a fair amount of research, both my own over the years and various other sources but there seems to be a lot of debate and conflicting opinions on the correct set up for Ortofon concords. I'm not talking about just tonearm counter weight, but the tone arm height adjustment.

The general consensus is that 2.5g to 5g is acceptable depending on you mixing style but it's the height that there seems to be little or no accepted rule; some say have the lockring at 1, others at 4, 5 or 6. And yes, even though the manufacturer's guidelines are to have the tonearm level with the platter, this is firstly very hard to do accurately and also highly subjective for such a precise piece of kit.

The problem I have experienced, is that with the weight set 3g (good balance of tracking vs. protection for the record) is that when I play a tune and listen through the phone's or monitors, at the peak of the kick transient there is a short, small but noticable "flap" of bass (by this I mean a dull distortion of the lower frequencies. I though this could be my phones or monitors (as it is similar to a blown or worn driver) and it goes away when I exert more pressure (with my finger) on the needle. I have also tried running it through a pure phono amp so it's not the mixer either.

Does anyone have any input on their ortofon concorde setup or know what the actual tonearm height should be, in relation to counter weight and anti skip???

Took you a decade to ask that and find that out?

Old Post Aug-13-2019 22:01  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Hides in Shadow Click here to Send Hides in Shadow a Private Message Add Hides in Shadow to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Responded to you in the other thread.

Take your meds. Breath. Try not to get banned. Again.

I don't know what you're going on about. In my former life I was (among many other brands including Moog, Cycloops, Yama, etc) a service engineer for Pro audio , DJ and PA kit.

Technics come with technics headshells. Not ortofons. I know how I set them up but nearly every DJ I've ever met has their own setup. So do Shure. How does stating I've set up 1000's of decks in 2019 have anything to do with discussing preferences for deck setups in 2007, 12 years earlier?

What point are you trying to make or understand? Because I sure as shit don't.

Old Post Aug-13-2019 22:58 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Hides in Shadow
Suspended User

How the fuck can you service tech1200 which is was more difficult then calibrating it with a ortofon catridge. That is autistic disabled shit right there coming from you that doesn't make sense. I have a technics headshell with me right now and remember clearly whenI had my MK5g's, it's the same height with stock technics slipmats and without rubber mats.

What is the accurate tone arm height with an OM stylus & delicious "Technics Headshells"

Old Post Aug-14-2019 16:37  United States
Freak
Insert witty comment here

Edited as I can't be assed arguing with retards (politically incorrect? Sue me).

Last edited by Freak on Aug-14-2019 at 19:07

Old Post Aug-14-2019 17:52  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Freak Click here to Send Freak a Private Message Add Freak to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Hides in Shadow
Suspended User

Alright.. I don't want to prove anything ill of Rann, frak it, this is going nowhere.

Lets get back on topic, my bad for being dramatic to begin with.

Old Post Aug-14-2019 22:32  United States
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Ugh, Freak is a more sensible man than I....

Juan you fail to understand that there's a ton of different ways to set up different cartridges. You even make adjustments going from the Ortofon Nightclub E to Nightclub O.

Unlike replacing the tonearm PCB, there's a ton of subjectivity about how different people like their needles setup. Me personally at home, I run low weight as I don't want to wear out my records and have zero vibration and good decoupling but it wouldn't fly at all in a club or bar setting, or with vinyl that's been thrashed or with people who really work the decks.

And here's another hint to point out how uneducated you are on this. You posted up that you're using 3g of weight on your ortofons but no anti skate and your perplexed as to why one channel of your mixer needs the EQ adjustment? Go figure. Literally.

As for tonearm height - don't take my word for it. Here's from the Ortofon service guide:

quote:
What should the tonearm height be set at for my cartridge?

Depending on the type of cartridge, the type of headshell, the turntable, and the mounting hardware used, there is no definitive answer. Adjust the height ring found at the base of the tonearm until the bottom of the plastic body, surrounding the cantilever of the stylus itself is parallel to the record during playback. This will ensure best sound quality and tracking.

In other words, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

Again.

Or is that just still no clue?

Old Post Aug-15-2019 17:16 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Hides in Shadow
Suspended User

quote:
Ugh, Freak is a more sensible man than I....

Juan you fail to understand that there's a ton of different ways to set up different cartridges. You even make adjustments going from the Ortofon Nightclub E to Nightclub O.

Unlike replacing the tonearm PCB, there's a ton of subjectivity about how different people like their needles setup. Me personally at home, I run low weight as I don't want to wear out my records and have zero vibration and good decoupling but it wouldn't fly at all in a club or bar setting, or with vinyl that's been thrashed or with people who really work the decks.

And here's another hint to point out how uneducated you are on this. You posted up that you're using 3g of weight on your ortofons but no anti skate and your perplexed as to why one channel of your mixer needs the EQ adjustment? Go figure. Literally.

As for tonearm height - don't take my word for it. Here's from the Ortofon service guide:

In other words, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

Again.

Or is that just still no clue?

I didn't want to continue but ya had to. Alright, that being said. That info from the service guide is just the beginning, for true accuracy, I bring a ruler and small flashlight to my gigs if I'm ever-changing needles. Tonearm height is the same for all version 1 Concordes, I never said tracking was the same.

I don't know how yet you claim you can change the PCB and inner circuitry and remove tonearm wire yet you have trouble putting the easiest of cartridges on the same unit?

Oh that thread, yeah you can mix with anti-skate after measuring with a blank vinyl, oldest trick in the book. It's just that I'm into turntablism unlike you and I was just looking for a new EQ technique and that was a common one lol. It gets boring doing long transitions just cutting lows from time to time. Also, please don't say the usual yeah I can do 5 min transitions on belt drives if I wanted to, BS prove it & Freak, don't say Rann doesn't have to he forgot how to mix or forgot how to service technics or w/e you said back there.

Old Post Aug-15-2019 17:58  United States
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Hides in Shadow
for true accuracy, I bring a ruler and small flashlight to my gigs if I'm ever-changing needles.

You bring a ruler and flashlight?

quote:
Tonearm height is the same for all version 1 Concordes, I never said tracking was the same.

Tonearm height varies. If I remember right there was even a thread on Future producers where the lead tech from Ortofon USA confirmed as much. It should be the same on certain models but if you're going from one headshell to a concorde, how do you know what the deck is set up for?

AFAIK Ortofon has never published a standard height reference for any model. It comes down to getting a flat tone arm in relation to the platter, whatever that height may be on your deck (hint: slipmats change the height lol).

quote:
I don't know how yet you claim you can change the PCB and inner circuitry and remove tonearm wire yet you have trouble putting the easiest of cartridges on the same unit?

As above, you're clueless.

quote:
Oh that thread, yeah you can mix with anti-skate after measuring with a blank vinyl, oldest trick in the book. It's just that I'm into turntablism unlike you and I was just looking for a new EQ technique and that was a common one lol. It gets boring doing long transitions just cutting lows from time to time. Also, please don't say the usual yeah I can do 5 min transitions on belt drives if I wanted to, BS prove it & Freak, don't say Rann doesn't have to he forgot how to mix or forgot how to service technics or w/e you said back there.

This is just off the meds rambling. I'm not sure you even know what you're trying to say. EQ technique by setting one channel different to the others and that somehow calibrates it? What?

You're literally the definition of a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

By the way, when were you born? I got my first belt drives (DLP1's) in 1995 and first set of 1210's in 1999. What were you doing in 1995?

I bet it has to do with crayons and mushy food.

Old Post Aug-15-2019 22:00 
Hides in Shadow
Suspended User

quote:

I won this round, thanks, google why you would need a ruler to measure tonearm height, because it looks like your newb self is totally clueless again.

quote:
Tonearm height varies. If I remember right there was even a thread on Future producers where the lead tech from Ortofon USA confirmed as much. It should be the same on certain models but if you're going from one headshell to a concorde, how do you know what the deck is set up for?

AFAIK Ortofon has never published a standard height reference for any model. It comes down to getting a flat tone arm in relation to the platter, whatever that height may be on your deck (hint: slipmats change the height lol).

That guy was corrected many times on that thread by the user members, his first info wasn't legit but got it right the third time. I'm talking about the stock technics slipmat that one that comes with your tech 1210 MK5g. All concordes will always be the same on those, I'm not talking about Dr Suzuki thick matts or butter rugs ffs.

There are 3 ways to measure tonearm height, one is the technics manual which you clueless about where you measure the Y and Z axis and apply it to the height.

quote:

This is just off the meds rambling. I'm not sure you even know what you're trying to say. EQ technique by setting one channel different to the others and that somehow calibrates it? What?

You're literally the definition of a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

By the way, when were you born? I got my first belt drives (DLP1's) in 1995 and first set of 1210's in 1999. What were you doing in 1995?

I bet it has to do with crayons and mushy food.

quote:
EQ technique by setting one channel different to the others and that somehow calibrates it?

You are known for putting words in sentences that have nothing to do with the original point.^^^^

Where on earth did I mention EQ has to do with calibration, check your eye doctor man

Come back to me when you got something better to say other than that don't waste my time.

Old Post Aug-15-2019 22:24  United States
Freak
Insert witty comment here

quote:

I think I did that under the bedsheets once when I was 13

Old Post Aug-15-2019 22:29  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Freak Click here to Send Freak a Private Message Add Freak to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Hides in Shadow
Suspended User

2 newbs

Cmon guys, the google search bar is waiting for you, type it in and hit it.

Old Post Aug-15-2019 22:30  United States

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Need new DVS Interface, suggestions please.
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (12): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackHelp ID'ing song from circa 1998? [2009] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackRadiohead - "Street Spirit" (Tiesto Remix) [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread