Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal > Digweed @ Stereo October 23
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Romchik22
Digger's acolyte

Was a tad disappointing his last set. Towards 8 am he dropped the energy for an hour so... But good overall.

That scareo is simply the best thing that I've heard in that club.

Old Post Oct-11-2015 14:34  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Romchik22 Click here to Send Romchik22 a Private Message Add Romchik22 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Alex
Suck a cheetah's dick

Wtf? A thread on MTLTA?

Old Post Oct-12-2015 22:59  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Alex Click here to Send Alex a Private Message Add Alex to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Romchik22
Digger's acolyte

We're all trippin!

Old Post Oct-13-2015 06:48  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Romchik22 Click here to Send Romchik22 a Private Message Add Romchik22 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
Surpeme traineanddict

johnny boy played a darn good one last night ! it was loads better than when he recorded live in toronto. jealous I'm not making the trip up now

Old Post Oct-24-2015 17:36  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Johnny Jon
GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!

Enjoy this one folks. It's going to be special.

Old Post Oct-24-2015 18:23  United Nations
Click Here to See the Profile for Johnny Jon Click here to Send Johnny Jon a Private Message Add Johnny Jon to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
OrangestO
–30–

Un-fucking-believable morning/afternoon! What a club, crowd and, most of all, DJ.

Goodbye, Canada! For now

Old Post Oct-25-2015 19:04 
Click Here to See the Profile for OrangestO Click here to Send OrangestO a Private Message Add OrangestO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SPANIARD
Supreme tranceaddict

Post I did in the MD forum
quote:
Originally posted by SPANIARD
Went to see Digweed in Montreal for a big gig at Stereo. Most people who followed the FB event page knew it was going to be an open-close since the opener had been taken off the flyer, however they only officially announced it on the day of.

For those who aren't familiar with the venue, Stereo has a reputation for being a music lovers paradise. It has a super simple concept. Basically, it's a big dark room with the best sound system you've ever heard (most of its praise comes from the artists themselves rather than a claim the club makes) and a crowd who is 100% committed to keeping it secluded from the commercial wave. The club underwent a serious renovation due to a fire circa 2009 and I hadn't been there since 2007 to experience it.

In Toronto, most clubs are pretty much done by 4am and you're lucky to find any after hours parties at all. In Montreal, most of the well known clubs open at 2am and go well past 9 or 10. To adjust properly required a lengthy rest and adapt to a different mind frame. We arrived at around 4:30 to a packed line up that was moving at a very good rate possibly due to the rain.

The amazing thing about Stereo is the entrance to the dance floor. You walk up a flight of about 15 stairs and you are looking right at the DJ around 100 feet from where you are. On top of that, the sound system was as good or better than I remembered it. The club must have had 500 people in it at that point and it felt busy but not sardine canned. They were already going crazy and knowing how Digweed programs, it was only the warm up tunes to get everyone comfortable. I must admit that the first 2 hours of his set was a bit of a blur for me due to me trying to absorb as much of the atmosphere as possible.

At around 7:30, the first hints of darkness hit. The thundering low ends with the big builds and mysterious leads started to creep in. Crowd was just eating it up with every break down at this point and the energy was relentless in the whole club. He remained this way until around 9:30 when he did somewhat slow down then restart a few times. He is probably the few remaining DJ's who can go from a track which you're convinced will end a set due to its calm, gentleness and mix it into an absolute techy belter without anyone noticing. Brilliant.

My friends minus one left around 10:45. He and I agreed that for how often we venture outside Toronto or get the chance to see Digweed, there's no way we can call it in now. From then on it was less of a flow driven set and more of an exhibition of Digweed's versatility. He played everything from Industrial (think Crystal Method's Legion of Boom) influenced Techno to old school classics like Morel's remix of Depeche Mode-Dream On. I can vividly remember a moment around noon that the lights had gone off completely and he had just mixed into an older trance-like bassline and all the club could see was him with his headphones on staring into the mixer.

My friend and I finally called it a day at 12:30 only to find out we missed the finale by 30 minutes. Sleep deprivation and adjusting to a schedule that is so drastically different finally begin to kick our asses. Not a single regret about it.

To conclude, I can't express enough how grateful I am that places like Stereo still exist. Everything about it is what the scene should be about. Instead of investing in fancy FB advertisements and shitty commercial line ups to pay the bills, they have invested in the best sound system in Canada, an amazing dance floor and most of all given extended time slots to DJ's who know how to use the time effectively. I also have to tip my hat once again to Digweed. It's impossible to put into words how professional he is and unbelievable how much love he has for the scene and music.

Last edited by SPANIARD on Oct-30-2015 at 17:17

Old Post Oct-27-2015 04:07  Spain
Click Here to See the Profile for SPANIARD Click here to Send SPANIARD a Private Message Add SPANIARD to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Johnny Jon
GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!

Awesome review man! Now you know the hype is real. Couldn't have chosen a better night to try it out.

Old Post Oct-27-2015 04:24  United Nations
Click Here to See the Profile for Johnny Jon Click here to Send Johnny Jon a Private Message Add Johnny Jon to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AY STAR
let the music use you up

dope night so glad i made the trip
from 10-close he was relentless. flawless mixing and just flow he had going on

Old Post Oct-27-2015 09:30  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for AY STAR Click here to Send AY STAR a Private Message Add AY STAR to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Romchik22
Digger's acolyte

Amazing review. This was definitly one the best parties that I've ever attended, and this set goes straight to my #1 on my stereo chart. Digweed brought his A+ game .

Old Post Oct-30-2015 00:14  Canada
hardcore trancer
Mystic Mind

Sick review Mr. What a night!!

Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/DJMysticMind

Old Post Oct-30-2015 02:05 
Click Here to See the Profile for hardcore trancer Click here to Send hardcore trancer a Private Message Visit hardcore trancer's homepage! Add hardcore trancer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Spin Laden
Nick Vachon approved

Excellent review!

glad you guys had fun, shout out to Marcus, Knox and Oldskool, Mrs House... didnt see OkiDokie

Good set, preferred his '13 and '14 sets more, dug those records more than the ones he played the other night. I did recognize about 10 per cent of his tracks, stayed from beginning to end.

Once I took a piss in front of everybody at Stereo. Put the garbage under the mixer, and did it right there while people were dancing and screaming. people thought I was playing with the mixer but I was playing with my zizi.

quote:
Originally posted by Enjoy
a classic from the aria days:
me: are you on TA?
girl: uhhhh... im on speed

Last edited by Spin Laden on Oct-31-2015 at 01:21

Old Post Oct-30-2015 11:53  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Spin Laden Click here to Send Spin Laden a Private Message Add Spin Laden to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal > Digweed @ Stereo October 23
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackID_dance_track_5 PLZ ID [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackRobert Gitelman & Jaron - Lost Sound [2007]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread