Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal > BPM Festival, Playa Del Carmen 2015
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Spin Laden
Nick Vachon approved

quote:
Originally posted by Spin Laden

SIAN

"I'm one the best djs in the world."

- Seth Troxler, RA: Between the Beats

Over my nine days at BPM, I estimated I saw about 50-60 djs, far cry from the over 350 djs that were present this year. However, most of them were either good or extraordinary, with Mr Troxler being the lone exception.

Bleeps and blops, twisted and disjointed, his Mamitas set lacked the good flow and track selection that carried all the other slots I was privy to. And while I have listened to some excellent sets from Troxler and love his candidness in that RA clip, the Mamitas set left a lot more to be desired from him.

Sian, Nic Fanciulli, Carl Cox, Joseph Capriati, Eats Everything, Stacey Pullen, Magdalena, Solomun, Âme, the Martinez Brothers, Green Velvet and Sharam were outstanding at BPM.

Cox, wearing an "Old School" t-shirt during the Intec party, did bring in the old classic and acid house beats but one could also hear some cutting edge techno, tech house and deep tech throughout. If we are in post-modernist era for music, where anything goes, then we are in a very dynamic time with endless possibilities.

Eats Everything was everything and more at Blue Venado, bringing his signature funky hip house-laced sound to Mexico, but unfortunately the venue itself was a letdown to the audiophiles there. Much of the sound was placed seamingly in the comparatively smallish dancefloor area, leaving thousands on the periphery yearning for more. And as for the venue, well, if you ever fantasized about raves before they went corporate, Blue Venado was just that: poor lighting, overpacked, minimal bathrooms and signage.

I was also told from a source that Magdalena was the opening dj for Solomun and Âme, no easy feat considering the talents of those djs and how tricky and difficult an opening slot can be. She was outstanding, as were the others, with all collectively leaving you waiting for more after each successive track. Canibal Royal was hands-down the best venue at BPM, with its terraces providing a spectacular vantage point of the 1,500 or so partiers and the Carribean Sea in the background.

Green Velvet also stunned me when he dropped a flat out lounge/chill out track you may never hear him drop again. I have owned the above set for a decade now and did not expect to hear the gem at the 24-minute mark, but this is further testament to Green Velvet's talents and presence of mind to know that he was in Mexico. Although twisted and quirky at times himself, Green Velvet is something Seth Troxler was not: palatable.

Sharam probably surprised me the most as his set had some impressive range. Often criticized as being the weaker half of Deep Dish, I actually found his set to be fresh, current and housey. He is certainly a much better dj than what many closed-minded pundits say and his recorded set further indicated as such.

If you like your techno hard and dirty, then Sian is the man for you. I have been making a personal campaign to have Stereo Montreal book this man as it is a must to see him in that superior venue that is close to home for me.

Very unfortunate that Maya Jane Coles became an afterthought at BPM, as one source told me that she was booed off the stage at Blue Parrot. She was one of many dj I was looking forward to seeing at BPM, hopefully we see some redemption at BPM 2016.

Not all of BPM was blissful. The 7-8 hour wait that many experienced with the VIP wristband brought BPM's world class festival status down several notches. And the pickpocketing attempts at a large percentage of attendees was alarming. While the latter will always be a problem in Mexico, the former needs to change if BPM is to attain high status again.

Also, some overcrowding at a few venues indicates that the organisers have a lot of work to do still. There are also question marks about why the final two night events at Blue Parrot were aborted at 6AM. To dispel earlier rumours, BPM is not moving to Acapulco, perhaps much to the chagrin of Danny Tenaglia, who typically wears his emotions on his sleeve and, upon having his set cut short when he was just getting ready to bring the techno, sarcastically suggested moving the festival there.

The weather was almost perfect during the entire festival and the crowd was sublime. I heard there were people from countries as far away as Kuwait, Sweden and Australia, even. Fortunately, I did not witness any protracted altercations at BPM and I think much of it has to do with the rather 'clean' dj lineup, which filters out the younger, heavy drinking males that partake in such douche-baggery. As mentioned earlier, some events were grossly overcrowded near the end of the festival but kudos to the spirit and maturity of the people there.

With a few more tweaks and wise decisions, the BPM Festival can be outstanding again. More than a few weathered these issues and still had the time of their lives. But it makes one imagine just how exceptional this festival can be without the aforementioned issues.

Once I took a piss in front of everybody at Stereo. Put the garbage under the mixer, and did it right there while people were dancing and screaming. people thought I was playing with the mixer but I was playing with my zizi.

quote:
Originally posted by Enjoy
a classic from the aria days:
me: are you on TA?
girl: uhhhh... im on speed

Old Post Feb-22-2015 19:34  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Spin Laden Click here to Send Spin Laden a Private Message Add Spin Laden to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Spin Laden
Nick Vachon approved

quote:
Originally posted by portugzMTL
Thanks for posting it in a more appropriate spot! lol Man, what the hell is going on with this place? Who's gonna clean up all those random threads??

Malek's coming out of retirement

Once I took a piss in front of everybody at Stereo. Put the garbage under the mixer, and did it right there while people were dancing and screaming. people thought I was playing with the mixer but I was playing with my zizi.

quote:
Originally posted by Enjoy
a classic from the aria days:
me: are you on TA?
girl: uhhhh... im on speed

Old Post Feb-22-2015 19:35  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Spin Laden Click here to Send Spin Laden a Private Message Add Spin Laden to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
WittyHandle
Supreme tranceaddict

I wonder why the police are giving BPM events such a hard time? From what I heard, the city loved the festival for how much tourism it brought in. The only thing I would guess is that they're blackmailing the event for more money, unless they're seeing enough tourism come in now from non-event goers and want to appeal to them more.

As for Tenaglia, he's terrible at prime time imo. He usually does that generic sound for the main part of the night, then when the majority of people leave he gets good. At least that's usually been my experience with him.

Old Post Feb-25-2015 17:52  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for WittyHandle Click here to Send WittyHandle a Private Message Add WittyHandle to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
christinam
Junior tranceaddict

Still haven't been to bpm but i'm planning on going 2016...
seems forever away but I can't wait

I do hope bpm cleans up a little so there aren't as many 6am let downs from what I hear...

Old Post Mar-02-2015 19:06  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for christinam Click here to Send christinam a Private Message Add christinam to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal > BPM Festival, Playa Del Carmen 2015
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackAnyone know this track from Summer 02 ???? [2004] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPlastic Boy - Live Another Life [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread