Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Need help on recording..kinda skeptical on my renders.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Hides in Shadow
Suspended User

Big Ears Need help on recording..kinda skeptical on my renders.

First thing is first.. I would like to know why my timecode digital vinyl mixes sound better than my analog vinyl promo mixes. Get more feed back, likes, listens, downloads, love, you name on my time code mixes rather analog vinyl.

Am I doing some thing wrong, I'm really curious..

My Gr calibration is spot on, tone arm height, pressure gauge, anti skate, etc.. I even tried to fool the nyquist theorem with capturing at higher sample rates. My gain staging is also good, peaks no more than 12 and nothing lower than 18 while recording.

now lastly, but really, do I. need an archive needle or something?

Old Post May-10-2019 19:17  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Hides in Shadow Click here to Send Hides in Shadow a Private Message Add Hides in Shadow to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
itsamemario
Divine Angel

Hmm yeah that's a weird one. You got any examples for us to listen to, it'd be far easier to say if there was a noticeable difference between the two. Also, I'm wondering whether there might be a way you're naming your mixes that would let people know it's vinyl only, as that could explain why there's a difference in positive feedback (likes/shares/views/whatevers), although it does not explain why people would not like vinylonly-sets.
Or I guess I added views onto the bunch on my own, how are views/plays vs regular mixes? if it's the same and it's just the love that's lacking, i dunno...

Do you record through your DVS software when you mix vinyl only, or do you do it "proper" and record in a separate software? I know at least Traktor has a pretty noticeable limiter, and alot of people who r blasted out on molly and don't know sh!t about music really really like the sound of someone just pumping that limiter with the reddest signals you can manage to produce, that might be a reason why less people like it, theyre missing the crappy overlimited then compressed sound.

Also, is your record collection up-to-date? That also might be a reason. Errybody and their grandma has an old chool vinyl only mix æ- congrats! you ain't special!

But yeah, examples would help.

quote:

ALFI - BOHICA - DJ MIX (Stream+Dropbox)

Old Post May-13-2019 08:34  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for itsamemario Click here to Send itsamemario a Private Message Visit itsamemario's homepage! Add itsamemario to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Hides in Shadow
Suspended User

Of course proper, no way am I going to Traktor with real vinyl LOL

Also, yeah, limiter (In Traktor), that's for the newbs.

What I want is color like old school ASOT recordings 01-100

ok this one is pure vinyl recording is very transparent imo, no color emphasis or live sounding at all, strictly neutral.

I used the elektro's on this one. 24 bit AIFF 192 kHz capturing on the apogee symphony and Volume automation Mastering with light limiting at the exported rendering.

Now this is recent time code mix, all digital from NI A6 into the DN78 Valve, somewhat dynamic with some warm color, not stale but lively feel. 16 bit 44. Khz

Old Post May-13-2019 09:02  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Hides in Shadow Click here to Send Hides in Shadow a Private Message Add Hides in Shadow to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
the-sixth
Supreme tranceaddict

There is an electrical hum throughout your vinyl mix, have you grounded your turntables properly? What is your pathway from mixer into your soundcard? Are your cables on your stylus wired correctly and fit tightly?

The Hum is present at 0:00 and can be heard at quiet parts in the mix for example 21:21, 32:05, 44:12, 51:02, 55:33

Rare Vinyls spinning on video If you like that sort of thing

Old Post May-15-2019 00:38  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for the-sixth Click here to Send the-sixth a Private Message Add the-sixth to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Hides in Shadow
Suspended User

quote:
Originally posted by the-sixth
There is an electrical hum throughout your vinyl mix, have you grounded your turntables properly? What is your pathway from mixer into your soundcard? Are your cables on your stylus wired correctly and fit tightly?

The Hum is present at 0:00 and can be heard at quiet parts in the mix for example 21:21, 32:05, 44:12, 51:02, 55:33

You know that could be it. I tackled this issue when my dj setup was in my other room. When I moved the RCA cables away from the power cords the hum went down significantly, I even saw it in my DAW while everything was connected. I use XLR out from booth to XLR into Symphony.

Appreciate the help..

Old Post May-15-2019 02:24  United States
Hides in Shadow
Suspended User

Yoo Sixth, you were spot on about the noise issue check out these pics..

Mixer Both Channels Down..

Elektro Concorde Channel 1 Up..

Orotofon OM S-120 With Headshell and Leeds, Channel 1 Up..

Old Post May-15-2019 06:51  United States
the-sixth
Supreme tranceaddict

Hopefully the tonearm itself isn't faulty and you can just replace the cart I would try your Elktro on both tonearms to be sure.

The other thing I would say is yesterdays music sounds flat anyway it's very hard to do anything with that it almost sounds too dubby and no clarity but the mix has some good tracks on there

Rare Vinyls spinning on video If you like that sort of thing

Old Post May-15-2019 11:46  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for the-sixth Click here to Send the-sixth a Private Message Add the-sixth to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Hides in Shadow
Suspended User

I'm afraid that you're possibly correct..now that I'm using elektro Concorde's the noise floor has decreased but one turntable has more noise than the other both grounded or not grounded.

Now to check if it isn't the mixer's problem, I'm going to have to plugin the noise source (Turntable) to channel 1 and channel 2 all the way up, not at the same time tho and come back with pics.

Again thanks..

Old Post May-15-2019 12:24  United States
Hides in Shadow
Suspended User

Good News, I'm happy with my mixes now, hear for your self. This was done on a. Gemini Vintage UMX - 9 Mixer. I used the Soft Limiter built into Apogee Symphony 2/6 Live so I record all bits. Captured at 192 Khz using Fab filter Pro Q and SPL Twin Tube Live with lowest latency possible on my iMac Pro 8 Core, then I limited again with more more of -2 Gain Reduction and -0.5 Threshold.

My Version of applying sauce.

Suck And see..

Now I wonder how it would sound on the Super Stereo DN78 Valve Analog.

Last edited by Hides in Shadow on May-22-2019 at 22:17

Old Post May-20-2019 19:55  United States
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

I thought you had problems with the super stereo?

Like they fucked you on the deal and it's not working?

And what's a UMX 10? I don't think gemini every made a UMX 10. I think you mean UMX 9 or a PMX 10?

Old Post May-22-2019 18:06 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Hides in Shadow
Suspended User

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
I thought you had problems with the super stereo?

Like they fucked you on the deal and it's not working?

And what's a UMX 10? I don't think gemini every made a UMX 10. I think you mean UMX 9 or a PMX 10?

Yeah, the cue button doesn't light up and I think I said..yeah the crossfader doesn't work as if its bypassed and thats about it.

Yeah, typo.. whoops I'lll fix it in my first post..UMX-9, 3 Channel

In the beginning, I was using two different earth cables and now the technics stock are on both decks.

Old Post May-22-2019 22:16  United States
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

I don't get it.

The Super Stereo is made by Formula Sound and I used to work with those guys.

Unless the company got taken over by someone else they were always straight up dependable guys. It's a family business. Have you reached out to them and explained it's never worked? Yes, it'll be a ballache to send it back to my homeland but that's a premium mixer and it should work.

Otherwise they should at least tell you how to fix it.

Old Post May-23-2019 17:34 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Need help on recording..kinda skeptical on my renders.
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackanother one old track title needed [2004] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSquare - Nova [4 Strings Remix] [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread