Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > Hjärngymnastik - 90s Acid, Ambient, IDM, Detroit Techno, Electro (and some trance)
Pages (21): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
lacksesepsotygh
;B

Hjärngymnastik - 90s Acid, Ambient, IDM, Detroit Techno, Electro (and some trance)

My collection consists mainly of electronic music from the middle part of the 1990s. This is me digging in my own shelves in search of hidden gems,
tracks that everyone's heard already, compilation exclusives, promotional edits and forgotten tracks in dire need of exposure.

There's so much good music from this part of the musical world that only got pressed on a specific cd compilation or a twelve inch release and did
not get wider recognition when released. I'm trying to find as many of them as I can and will be presenting them in hour-long mixes.

Some mixes will have more focused themes such as ambient techno, acid, bleep, electro, glitchy ambient, idm or detroit techno but most of them will
contain tracks currently occupying my mind, regardless of style and genre.

Hjärngymnastik 001:

01. Human Mesh Dance - Sunken Garden [Waveform Records - 1995]
02. Robert Leiner - Out Of Control [Apollo - 1994]
03. Bedouin Ascent - Transition-R [Rising High Records - 1994]
04. Chapterhouse Retranslated By Global Communication - Alpha Phase [Dedicated - 1993]
05. Dance 2 Trance - Mr. Cannabis [Blow Up - 1992]
06. Bleep - The Launchpad (Boomerang Mix) [SSR Records - 1990]
07. Aedena - Alph (Ultra Wide Radio-Overleaf) [Zonetripper - 1994]
08. Bigeneric - Electrophoria [The Spacefrogs - 1995]
09. Spacelab - Outside An Airlock [Telegram Records Stockholm - 1993]
10. 808 State - Sunrise [ZTT - 1989]
11. Carl Craig - Science Fiction (In Touch With My Psyche) [Blanco Y Negro - 1995]
12. Dan Curtin - It Tastes Like [Peacefrog Records - 1994]
13. Rhythim Is Rhythim - Icon (Montage Mix) [Buzz - 1993]
14. Acid Jesus - Razzblaster [Klang Elektronik - 1993]
15. Air Liquide - Synsonic [Rising High Records - 1994]

Some incoherent ramblings about these selections:

This mix is starting off with the track called Sunken Garden by Human Mesh Dance, more known as Taylor Deupree. The track was not found on any of
his full-length albums (which are all in my wantlist), but rather on the compilation series A.D. (vol 2) released on Waveform Records in 1996.

Next up is prolific swedish Robert Leiner also known as The Source or The Source Experience. This is the intro track taken from his 1994 album on
Apollo called Visions Of The Past. He's followed by the track called Transition-R by Bedouin Ascent released on Rising High Records in 1994.

I chose the excellent Alpha Phase track from Global Communication's retranslations of Chapterhouse that were released on Dedicated in 1993 as
follow-up but pitched it up to 122 BPM.

Dance 2 Trance are most famous for a couple of hit singles with more remixes than I can count. The track Mr. Cannabis on the 1992 album Moon
Spirits particulary caught my eye (eye? ears?) a couple of years ago. It's a track I've been playing in back 2 back mixing sessions with Sand
Leaper and Uncle Montana earlier.

Bleep is an alias of Geir Jenssen who you all know as Biosphere. This polar-sounding track sounds like something right out of the movie The
Thing. This track wasn't taken from the album, but from a compilation called Freezone 1: The Phenomenology of Ambient released on SSR Records
in 1994. The track can also be found as a B-side on the Launchpad twelve inch.

The Ultra Wide Radio-Overleaf mix of Aedena's track called Alph was rescued from one really awful looking compilation called XS To The Ravezone.
You know those compilations you see in the thrift store, but can't bear to bring home because of the cheap graphics and ravey titles that would
make Pulsedriver happy? Good thing I buy those, scavenge the great tracks and put it up for sale so you don't have to. Aedena are also called
Aedena Cycl and has released two albums on Beatservice Records (wantlisted!) and a number of twelve inches on Apollo as well as Beatservice.

The producer called Bigeneric has a number of great tracks I've been listening to lately. This particular track called Electrophoria saw a
release as a B side on the twelve inch EP called Venydia, but was also featured on the album called Myriades. I remember buying this album
while digging around in Gothenburg around 2007. Damn, I miss that store. The few times I could visit the store, I left with filled crates
and blanked savings. One day when visiting the store, I was greeted by a sign saying they've closed shop. Gnnhhh..

Telegram Records is a swedish label mostly known for releasing Rob N Raz, Papa Dee and Leila K records during the early nineties. Luckily,
they released a small number of listenable music as well. Spacelab was one of those project. Outside An Airlock is taken from the album
called Space Is Big, Man Is Small released in 1990.

The only track released in the 1980s featured in this mix came from 808 State. This group doesn't really need any introduction.

Carl Craig released Science Fiction in 1995. I chose the version he remixed as his alias called Psyche, taken from the cd maxi relased on
Blanco Y Negro.

During the holidays in late december of 2016 I visited one of my regular record stores in Stockholm without any real expectations. Maybe I
would find some acid house compilations or a Massive Attack album I didn't already have? Well, the owner told me to take a look in a few
crates located on the floor near the metal section. The first thing that came flying out of the first box was a handful of Fax albums (yes,
the Namlook label) followed by Dan Curtin - The Silicon Dawn. This release had been in my wantlist for years as well as a couple of hundred
other releases that were found in these boxes. I made a deal with the shop owner and left in a taxi with about 9 crates of idm, techno and
ambient. I chose to play the track called It Tastes Like released on Peacefrog Records in 1994.

Another compilation that was found in the same collection was the fantastic Virtualsex released in 1993 on Buzz. Every track on this
compilation is great, and I will probably play all of them during this series of mixes. For this mix I chose to play my favourite version
of Icon by Rythim Is Rythim - the Montage mix. It's also available on Derrick May's Innovator compilation which I bought a couple of years
before Virtualsex.

I still haven't forgiven Roman Flügel for making the Geht's Nocht track in 2004. Luckily, he's made a lot of great music in the past. Shortly
after moving to Stockholm in the fall of 2007 I began attending the record fairs located in Solnahallen. I found the self-titled album Acid
Jesus along with a Biochip C album and some german acid compilations in the "Other" section for roughly one euro a piece from one of the
sellers focused on Metal music.

Jammin Unit and Walker has made music under a lot of different aliases. I've got tons of music released under their Air Liquide moniker. It's
hard to pick a favourite track from this extensive catalogue, so I will be featuring them during many episodes.

I'll be posting the next episode next sunday.

Last edited by lacksesepsotygh on Jan-08-2019 at 09:54

Old Post Jan-06-2019 11:17  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for lacksesepsotygh Click here to Send lacksesepsotygh a Private Message Visit lacksesepsotygh's homepage! Add lacksesepsotygh to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MSZ
godspeed

oh so horny, \I am horned.

Old Post Jan-08-2019 15:22  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for MSZ Click here to Send MSZ a Private Message Add MSZ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AlphaStarred
-__---__-_-_-_-----_

I was looking forward to hearing this - early years, plenty of familiar suspects - but honestly I'm not that fond of the music itself - personal taste, I guess. The Robert Leiner track is pretty cool, though. Looking forward to your next episode...

Old Post Jan-08-2019 16:30  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for AlphaStarred Click here to Send AlphaStarred a Private Message Add AlphaStarred to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MSZ
godspeed

im with bro. very cohesive mix tho, minus maybe the second last track, but the music was not very appetizing. I enjoyed the robert l track and the carl craig track out of the bunch. I had to take a dump and heard scratching in the background, good timing methinks.

which needles are you using, im a fan of the recording.

Old Post Jan-08-2019 21:48  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for MSZ Click here to Send MSZ a Private Message Add MSZ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
lacksesepsotygh
;B

Thank you both for your feedback.

I was using the digital needles of the CDJ2000NXS. No vinyl in this set.

I'm glad you liked a couple of tracks at least. Hopefully you'll find more tracks to your liking in my upcoming sets. It would be impossible to please everyone when choosing tracks. I know I like all of these tracks, some more than others. When browsing for old music, I often come across praised tracks considered by many to be masterpieces which gives me no excitement what so ever, so I get what you're both saying.

I'll be posting one mix each sunday if nothing unexpected happens.

Old Post Jan-09-2019 09:24  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for lacksesepsotygh Click here to Send lacksesepsotygh a Private Message Visit lacksesepsotygh's homepage! Add lacksesepsotygh to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MSZ
godspeed

maybe you're in love with the concept of tracks that didn't get a lot of play, they're probably hidden for a reason[/troll]. naw I kid, I have questionable taste generally.

Doh, I feel EVEN dumber now with the needle question. Im probably in more more mixes, It was done tastefully.

Old Post Jan-09-2019 20:06  Canada
Sand Leaper
Tension hunter

I guess I'll be the contrarian here, then. I thought the music was fantastic, but I don't think the mix is put together all that well. The tracks themselves are too busy and melodic to be mixed all that effectively in this order. I feel like you need more tracks that are more stripped down and minimal to pad things out before dropping tunes like Icon and Out Of Control in there, as they are very powerful tunes on their own. It's worth trying out for the next installment, though you'll probably need to dig through the crates a bit more.

Old Post Jan-10-2019 10:02  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Sand Leaper Click here to Send Sand Leaper a Private Message Add Sand Leaper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
lacksesepsotygh
;B

quote:
Originally posted by MSZ
maybe you're in love with the concept of tracks that didn't get a lot of play, they're probably hidden for a reason[/troll]. naw I kid, I have questionable taste generally.

Doh, I feel EVEN dumber now with the needle question. Im probably in more more mixes, It was done tastefully.

I feel I need to emphatize that this not series is not about only playing a bunch of unknown tracks. That's not my procedure when picking tracks. I have around 8000 physical cds/vinyl to go through, and I will play the goods I discover. In the beginning of this mix series, I won't play anything newer than 1999.

quote:
Originally posted by Sand Leaper
I guess I'll be the contrarian here, then. I thought the music was fantastic, but I don't think the mix is put together all that well. The tracks themselves are too busy and melodic to be mixed all that effectively in this order. I feel like you need more tracks that are more stripped down and minimal to pad things out before dropping tunes like Icon and Out Of Control in there, as they are very powerful tunes on their own. It's worth trying out for the next installment, though you'll probably need to dig through the crates a bit more.

Thank you for your input. This has a lot to do with the 1 hour timeslot formula, I'd say. I feel I'm better adjusted when making "extended" sets, where there's more time to build. My biggest struggle when putting these together is not what to play, but in what order.

Next one's out tomorrow.

Old Post Jan-12-2019 22:39  Sweden
lacksesepsotygh
;B

Hjärngymnastik 002:

01. Woob - Gate [EM:T - 1995]
02. Encephaloid Disturbance - Abnorm Lapse Of Time [Dance Opera - 1995]
03. Tournesol - Orange Planet [Apollo - 1994]
04. The Grid - Rollercoaster (The Global Communication Yellow Submarine Re-Take) [Dedicated - 1995]
05. The Optic Crux - Mind Transfer [Djax-Up-Beats - 1994]
06. Tupilaq - Ciknal [Audio Pollution - 1995]
07. Being - Try [Emissions Audio Output - 1995]
08. Deadstock - Octarine [Internal - 1995]
09. Voice Stealer - Evaulation [Subvert - 1997]
10. Andre Holland - City Of Fear [Underground Resistance - 1995]
11. Insync Vs Mysteron - Exit 9 [Peacefrog Records - 1995]
12. Sterac - Intersphere [Multiplex - 1997]
13. Urban Groove - Scenic Route [Plink Plonk - 1996]
14. The Naturists - Mission Impossible [Interactive Records - 1993]
15. MLO - Two Voyages (Claude Young Mix) [Aura Surround Sounds - 1996]
16. Scan 7 - Black Wall [Tresor - 1999]
17. Octave One - Terraforming [430 West - 1995]
18. Atom Heart - Milagro 02 [Our Choice - 1994]
19. Mind Over MIDI - Relaxed [Club Craft - 1996]
20. Burger Ink - Avalon [Harvest - 1996]

Some incoherent ramblings about these selections:

There's this thrift store in Stockholm that I try to frequent quite often. Most times I find absolutely zero. Other times I found crucial acid
and balearic house compilations or sought-after ambient. Once, I was lucky enough to find this Woob album called Woob2 4495 as well as two other
EM:T compilations at the very bottom of a shelf filled with the usual thrift-store junk. I need to own more EM:T releases, but they're quite pricey.

This ambient piece from Encephaloid Disturbance was taken from the EP called Fragments. I usually know this project for their harsh acid outputs
and will continue playing tracks from them later on. I don't own many EPs or 12"s, but their tracks usually appear on Dance Opera compilations which are
pretty cheap and available.

Orange Planet is taken from the 1994 album called Kokotsu released on Apollo.

The Grid brings pretty awful memories of some sort of banjo-house playing on MTV and VIVA as I was a kid. Luckily, they got a Global Communication
treatment for one of their tracks that was not Swamp Thing. This was taken from the Global Communication Remotion Remix album that got released on Dedicated
in 1995, but it was available on the CDM released in 1994 on Deconstruction.

I actually came across The Optic Crux and their self-titled album when I was subscribed to Spotify. This Djax-Up-Beats album had somehow slipped past my digging
senses, so I immediately unsubscribed from Spotify and used the money to buy the album on Discogs instead.

Essential swedish producer Krister Linder has a number of aliases, most which are buy-on-sight. Tupilaq is definitely one of these projects. This track was taken
from the 2xLP called Alaskanlab Sweden 1995 released on Audio Pollution in 1995. I've managed to buy both the vinyl and cd versions quite cheap somehow. Krister Linder
is also responsible for projects such as Yeti and Solaroid which I will be playing tracks from later on.

Besides owning The Tides Remix Album, all I have from Being is from the compilation called Fresh Emissions released on Emissions Audio Output in 1995. As I'm typing this
I notice Being has released a number of sought-after twelve inches as well as a collaboration with Two Lone Swordsmen. Wantlisted!

Octarine was released on vinyl on the label called Internal in 1995, but my version was taken from the Trance Europe Express series. This series is actually really good
and despite the name, it doesn't contain very much trance. If you're buying a copy, make sure you're getting the booklet which contains lots of interesting anecdotes.

In the summer of 2018 I visited a small record fair on Södermalm in Stockholm where I found some Dopplereffekt, Theo Parrish, Redshape and other essential records. My greatest
find was Carl Finlow's Voice Stealer 2xLP called The All Electric House released on Subvert in 1997. Although I own the vinyl, the version I played on this mix was taken from
a compilation cd called Smokedown 2: Further Travels Into The Leftfield. I've been playing quite a lot of newer Carl Finlow releases in my sets with newer music, and one of the
highlights from this summer was seeing him play live in the cellar at Griessmuehle in Berlin.

The first time I saw a Andre Holland release was at a record fair in Stockholm in 2007 or 2008. I had recently moved to the city and wanted to start digging as soon as I could
so the record fair was a good place to start. One seller was selling a personal DJ collection with thousands of proper electro, techno and house records. I saw someone dig up
Andre Holland's release on Somewhere In Detroit and pay roughly 2 EUR for it. I was gutted. There's more to this story, but this is it for now. This particular track was taken
from the essential compilation called Origins Of A Sound released on Submerge in 1995.

When the major record stores in Stockholm went under, I spent every night after work in the crates of Megastore in search for bargains. If I remember correctly I picked up
more than 10 copies of Lords Of Svek 2 (or was it 3? The blue one!) as well as bags filled with CDs missing case and artwork. Insync Vs Mysteron - Android Architect was one of
these CDs. It got chucked into a drawer of generic cds without cases and almost ended up getting sold. Luckily, I saved the CD and later on managed to buy a few twelve inches
fairly cheap. This track was taken from the Japanese label called Sublime Records in 1997. The label released a compilation series with releases previously done by Peacefrog.

Steve Rachmad has made so many essential releases that it's hard to know where to start. Sterac? Paralell 9? Black Scorpion? Why not all of them? I came across Secret Life Of Machines
for a reasonable price, but Thera is still in my wantlist. This track was taken from a compilation called Get Lost which was released on Multiplex in 1997. Multiplex is on my
list of labels I really need to pay more attention to. In the mid-90s they released twelve inches by Statis, Cai Bojsen-Moller, Morgan Geist, Dan Curtin and John Tejada to name a few.

Urban Groove (or Urban Groove Alliance) is an alias of Hope Grant, the same person behind the Envoy moniker (yes, Dark Manouvers). This fairly small project got two twelve inch
releases on Plink Plonk before being abandoned. This track did not get featured on the vinyl releases, but was taken from the compilation called Parasols 02, also released on Plink Plonk.

I know nothing at all about The Naturists besides owning one of their CDs. This track was taken from the album called The Friendly Islands released on Interactive Records in 1993.

MLO has a number of releases on respected labels such as R&S Records and Rising High. This Claude Young mix of Two Voyages was originally released as twelve inch and cd maxi in 1996, but
my version is taken from the 3xCD compilation called Plastic Apple.

Masked Detroit collective Scan 7 has been releasing music for a long time, creating unrepairable holes in my wallet. This track was taken from their album called Resurfaced which was released
on vinyl and CD on Tresor in 1999. Just a few months ago, I also purchased a polish (I'm guessing bootleg) copy of Resurfaced on tape. I don't even own a cassette player.

Originally released on vinyl in 1995, I picked the Terraforming track from the compilation called The Collective, released on 430 West in 1998. Octave One started out in 1990 and are still
going strong. I can't remember how many times I've seen them, but I've made to sure to see their live act in both Berlin and Stockholm in the recent years.

Uwe Schmidt has so many aliases, so many that i should dedicate a specific shelf to keep track of his releases. I'm glad I own a large number of his Atom Heart releases, as well as some
Lassigue Bendthaus, i, Atomu Shinzu and Urban Primitivism to name a few. Milagro 2 is taken from Milagro EP released on Our Choice and Roughmix in 1994.

Norwegian Mind Over MIDI has been releasing music since 1996. I own the first two albums and they're absolute bliss. I've used a number of his tracks in my previous mixes and will continue to do so.
This particular track was released on Club Craft in 1996, but my version is taken from the CD album.

Burger Ink consists of Wolfgang Voigt and Jörg Burger. This is the track called Avalon from their album called Las Vegas. It's also featured on the twelve inch called Las Vegas Pt. 1 released on
Harvest in 1996.

I'll be posting the next episode next sunday.

Last edited by lacksesepsotygh on Jan-13-2019 at 12:36

Old Post Jan-13-2019 11:43  Sweden
AlphaStarred
-__---__-_-_-_-----_

I was really enjoying this one - the music, mixing and flow was good - up until 36 mins. or so, after which the the momentum dwindled a bit, and the following tracks I couldn't really get into. Otherwise, good stuff.

Old Post Jan-14-2019 03:52  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for AlphaStarred Click here to Send AlphaStarred a Private Message Add AlphaStarred to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MSZ
godspeed

Some of these tracks are outstanding, well done searching them out.(for me its a big contrast from the first one) Question, what is your throught process in stringing sets along,That track that comes in around 22 minutes goes hard, then you peel it back right after for a couple after? Are you going for that small peak? I would go a few tracks hard then peel it back for some continuity and segmented flow, but thats just me.

Old Post Jan-14-2019 17:22  Canada
lacksesepsotygh
;B

quote:
Originally posted by AlphaStarred
I was really enjoying this one - the music, mixing and flow was good - up until 36 mins. or so, after which the the momentum dwindled a bit, and the following tracks I couldn't really get into. Otherwise, good stuff.

Pretty much where more "regular" techno starts playing. I'm glad you liked the first part at least.

quote:
Originally posted by MSZ
Some of these tracks are outstanding, well done searching them out.(for me its a big contrast from the first one) Question, what is your throught process in stringing sets along,That track that comes in around 22 minutes goes hard, then you peel it back right after for a couple after? Are you going for that small peak? I would go a few tracks hard then peel it back for some continuity and segmented flow, but thats just me.

Thank you! All my sets will go up and down in tempo. I quite enjoy doing that, but like I said in my previous comment to Sand Leaper, this 1 hour timeslot is something I need to adjust for. For the past year I've pretty much only recorded longer sessions where I work in other ways. Of course there are choices and transitions I wouldn't do after listening to the mix once it's done, but I won't go back and change things.

Third ep out tomorrow.

Last edited by lacksesepsotygh on Jan-20-2019 at 08:31

Old Post Jan-19-2019 08:25  Sweden

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > Hjärngymnastik - 90s Acid, Ambient, IDM, Detroit Techno, Electro (and some trance)
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (21): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackWell known track from Innercity 2005 Video [2006] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackCRW - "I Feel Love" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread